It's been a while since I spent much time with a toddler, and there are some things about that age that I've forgotten.
1. Toddlers are liars.
"I don't take naps."
"I don't need to go potty."
"I don't wear shoes."
"I can have ice cream before night-night."
2. Toddlers who are potty-training will ask to go pee wherever you go. Likewise, they can go on demand if they know a treat follows the deed.
3. Toddlers change clothes on average 14 times a day.
4. ...unless you let them wear a swimsuit (or other non-traditional day wear) as their outfit of the day, in which case they would wear it for 3 weeks straight.
5. "I can do it myself." OHMYGODTHISISTAKINGFOREVER.
6. Dora, Diego, Kai-Lan. If none of those 3 people are on television at the moment they request it, BRACE YOURSELF.
7. Breakfast, lunch, dinner = "I'm not hungry."
Every single moment in-between = "I want a snack."
8. So. Many. Sippy. Cups.
9. Toddlers are tiny terrorists disguised in cuteness.
"Get up and do what I say, Tia." (I'm Tia.)
10. When negotiating with a toddler, there is only ONE way. And it's NOT your way.
**When you're the aunt, you laugh at all of the above because you get to say "yes" to all of their demands...and then send them home. **